Careers @ Ten Forward
Perks of Working with Ten Forward
- Market salary
- Health & Dental insurance
- Paid family leave
- 401k, company match
- Paid holidays
- Vacation days
- Friendly, relaxed work environment with emphasis on work/life balance
- Upward mobility (seriously, we're looking for future leaders)
- Working with awesome, unique individuals
If you love software (or hate it but want to work with it for the rest of your life anyway), you shouldn't ever hesitate to get in touch, even if there's not a listing that fits on this page.
That being said, we're currently actively seeking people to help fill the following roles:
Description / Ideal Candidate*
Ten Forward Consulting is growing and needs help with business administration, research, entry-level management, and more. Our 12-person Software Firm on Madison's west side provides custom software for clients of all sizes across many industries, both locally and nation wide.
Learn first hand about what it takes to run a business by working side by side with the executive team (President & VP) on a wide variety of internal, client-facing, and employee-facing tasks. This is an entry-level management position that will be challenging but fulfilling, and will provide a clear path for growth.
If you're the executive assistant we're looking for you'll be...
Diligent, conscientious, positive and enthusiastic. You'd be described as resourceful, helpful and attentive in all that you do.
You will report directly to the president, and you’ll be responsible for helping the executive team communicate, research, prepare, and execute on tasks that affect the highest priority goals of the company. You will take meeting notes and be able to quickly and efficiently translate those into to-do items and scheduled action items. You will manage schedules, follow-ups and other activities as they relate directly to the business operations.
You have exceptional written and verbal communication skills. You are capable of managing yourself and eager to use the tools you are given to create consistent, repeatable processes administratively or otherwise. You care about the work that you do and take pride in your client and professional relationships.
You value follow-through and take pride in getting things "capital-D" done. You're eager to help a growing company with a great culture!
Description / Ideal Candidate*
We're looking for folks who have experience and can show evidence of shipping and supporting software in a production environment, rather than showing a bunch of credentials or degrees.
- You have enough experience to have developed opinions about things like dynamically typed languages, database servers, source control systems, and IDEs.
- You're the good kind of lazy; you'd rather spend 2 hours writing a script to automate something that can be used over and over than spend 20 minutes doing it manually.
- You're open minded and accepting, and enjoy working with a diverse group of professionals from varied backgrounds.
- You're comfortable in a Linux terminal, and maybe even prefer one to Windows 10.
- You can write SQL queries, and you know what a closure is. You have a favorite programming language (and it's not PHP). You have experience with a language like Ruby or Python, even if you were trained on Java or C#. Maybe you’ve heard of Elixir or Scala.
- You're a whiz with CSS, but you use SASS or LESS nowadays. You're looking forward to not having to support IE8 (9?) ever again.
- You've written software for mobile devices (responsive web counts!), and you understand the challenges of writing software for many different platforms.
- You’re comfortable using and contributing to open source software, and you think it’s awesome that people give away code that’s so incredibly useful.
- You pay attention to details, and rarely need to be told anything twice. You love learning new things but you don't automatically assume new == better.
- You're motivated to create the best software you can, and irritated when forced to use software you know you could fix if you could only get under the hood.
** We don't expect any individual to have all of these traits - that would be silly. If the list resonates with you, please don’t let something we’ve listed (or didn't list) prevent you from applying if you're awesome and you think you'd be good for our team.*
Sounds great, what now?
Email email@example.com and include a short cover note, a résumé or CV, salary requirements, and some links to your portfolio/github/arduino project/band's last performace/cat/dog/anything else you're proud to show off. We believe the only way to really evaluate a programmer is to look at code, and you will write code during your interview (on a computer, not on a whiteboard).
Maybe you've been programming in a cubicle since you graduated a few years ago and are wondering if there are better ways to spend your time. Or perhaps you never went to college, but you just love writing code so much that you taught yourself how, and you want to keep your career going. Get in touch today and you can help us continue to write great software at Ten Forward Consulting.